Writing Skills – Comparison and Contrast (Comparing Features, page 70, Ex. 4)
Compare the bridges in terms of age, length, appearance using the following comparative words and phrases.
in comparison (to / with), on the other hand, however, whereas, while, in contrast to, by way (of) contrast, far more / fewer / older / newer, significantly longer/shorter, slightly older/newer
- The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge (3,910m) is significantly longer than the Alamillo Bridge (200m).
- The Akashi Kaikyo Bridge (3,910m) is slightly longer than the Golden Gate Bridge (2,739m).
- The Alamillo Bridge is 200m long, while / whereas the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge is an impressive 3,910m long.
- In comparison to the other bridges, the Charles Bridge is extremely old.
- The Golden Gate Bridge was built in 1937, on the other hand / while / whereas the Charles Bridge was built in the 14th century.
- Built in the 14th century the Charles Bridge is far older than the other bridges.
- The Golden Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge, while / whereas the Charles Bridge is an arch bridge
- The Charles Bridge is made of sandstone, whereas the Alamillo Bridge is made of concrete and steel.
- In comparison with the other bridges, the harp-shaped Alamillo Bridge has a very distinctive design.
- The Alamillo Bridge is shaped like a harp while / whereas the other bridges have a more conventional design.